Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hello everyone!

I just spent an amazing three days relaxing in Nassau, Bahamas at the Sheraton Resort with my parents. Nassau is the port we departed from so me and my parents spent an extra few days down here before setting sail! I honestly don't know what I would have done without them here so I am thankful they had the time and money to spend coming down with me:) 

We were supposed to leave Nassau Thursday Jan 19th in the evening and they delayed it until 11:00 pm that night due to 27 students that did not receive Brazilian visa's. We then waited until Friday Jan 20th when we left port at noon and came back to Nassau at 5:30 to pick up all the students and FINALLY left Nassau at 8:30 pm that day! I was very boastful about the fact that I would not get sea sick because I love being on boats...and thank god I was right. I felt really tired last night but that's about it! I am wearing the seasickness bracelet my mom gave me though just in case.

I am writing to you from the top deck of the ship sitting on a lounge chair letting the sea breeze blow through my hair and watching the ocean in complete serene darkness while listening to the faint sound of someone playing an acoustic guitar on the deck below me. I still cannot believe I am on a ship traveling the world with the most AMAZING group of students, faculty, and crew members. I am in the process of meeting SO many people and while it is overwhelming at times, it makes me feel so grateful to expand my group of friends even more than I already have by moving from New Hampshire to Naperville to Boulder. It is a very interesting and diverse group of people that I ashamed to say I probably would not be friends with at school because I already have amazing friends and that makes it hard to want to expand your horizons.

I signed up for some clubs last night (not sure if I will end up doing all of them but they all sounded so interesting) 
-Career club (so I can figure out what I'm doing with my life)
-Health and wellness club (I will promote health and wellness in countries we go to and also will partake in yoga, insanity, and zumba classes on the ship)
-Dodgeball, soccer, ping pong, and cornhole
-Babysitting and big sister (There are 30 kids under 18 onboard the ship because they are family of the staff and professors and you can get paid to babysit, tutor, or just hang out with some of the kids! I know a lot of you are probably surprised I signed up for this but I swear I will learn to like kids by the end of this trip)
-Extended Family (Where you get assigned a family, such as a professor his wife and kids, onboard to be your home away from home so you can plan dinners together or game nights)
-African drumming club and photography club 

I had my first class today (Technology and Reproduction taught by professor Andrea Parrot from Cornell University) and I must say I am SO looking forward to her class and the knowledge and passion she has for public health in poorer countries around the world, especially Ghana and India. I will have my other three classes (Global Studies, African American Psychology, and Cross Cultural Psychology) tomorrow and will update you guys about those! 

We get to Roseau, Dominica on Monday and are there for two days! I will be doing these two trips along with independent:

Day 1, Mon Jan 23: DOM01 WONDERS OF WAITI-KUBULI: EMERALD POOL & RIVER TUBING

Waiti-kubuli meaning "tall is her body" is the original Carib name for Dominica. The rugged mountainous landscape has produced an abundance of natural wonders, such as rivers, waterfalls, lakes and valleys; the island is criss-crossed with 365 rivers. On this trip enjoy tubing on the Layou River, the largest river in Dominica.  Travel about 40 minutes by bus to the launch site for the safety briefing, after which you will be provided with your life vest, modified inner tube, and paddle before getting into the river. After a lesson on the river bank, guides will position you into a large tube. With everyone in the water, your guides will set you loose to begin your journey, gently spinning and swirling in the current while taking in the changing scenery. Stop briefly to enjoy a popular Dominican pastime: river bathing. Enjoy a swim in the crystal clean waters for a few minutes before continuing down the scenic river to your exit point. At the end of the journey, refreshments including punch and fresh fruit will be served. 

Day 2, Tue Jan 24: FDP: DOM26 THE CARIB INDIANS: TOUNA AUTE

This FDP will take you to the residential cultural Carib Indian Community, called Touna Aute, which is situated in the northeast of Dominica. The name Touna means "water" in the Carib language. Enjoy a scenic drive through the island rainforest, stopping en route to visit the Emerald Pool, which is located in the Morne Trois Pitons National Park. A 15-minute walk through rainforest brings you to the 50-foot cascading waterfall and impressive view. Upon arrival at Touna Aute, the community leader, a former Carib Chief, will welcome you at the traditional community Karbet and provide a short historical overview of the community and the Carib people. Afterwards, he will invite you to visit homes of local residents. This experience is the only one of its kind in Dominica, in which you may be given opportunities to participate in various domestic activities including basket weaving, bamboo weaving of traditional fish traps, and sugar cane juice squeezing using traditional techniques. Witness and learn the making of cassava bread, a centuries-old staple of the Carib diet. Natural medicine is still practiced here, and locals will share secrets of herbs used for healing. While walking through the village you can also enjoy fruit picking in season. Participants may choose to enjoy the water. Local snacks and drinks will be served at the end of this excursion before returning to the ship. 

Sorry for all the information but it has been an exciting couple of days and I already miss you all but am looking forward to being in a new country!

Love,

Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment