Friday, March 23, 2012

Vietnam Presentation by Lynda Johnson Robb (daughter of President Lyndon Baines Johnson) and U.S Senator Charles Robb

1100-1200 - Memories of the War, Part I. Former U.S. Senator Charles Robb served 13 months in Vietnam as a United States Marine, where he earned the Bronze Star, while his wife, Lynda Johnson Robb, daughter of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, was living in the White House. They will discuss their experiences during this tumultuous period and share some remarkable photos. This unique conversation is designed to touch on subjects that the Robbs have never jointly shared publicly, and it will be filmed for submission to a national archive. (Union)

I just got to watch the most amazing presentation. This seriously makes me absolutely love being on Semester at Sea...who else gets to do this and meet such cool people!? They are the most elegant couple I have ever met and I teared up a bit when Lynda was talking about being pregnant with their first child and Charles missing the first six months of her life and she didn't know if he would ever be able to meet their daughter. I attached some of the notes I took during it as well but it was a really interesting seminar I got to listen to. I attached some of the notes I took during the presentation, I'm not sure if they will make much sense but here they are!

The first contact between Ho Chi Minh and the U.S was of the first picture taken from behind the moon (famous picture in textbooks). Her father started NASA and his opponent at the time said "you keep your eyes on the stars and we'll keep our feet on the ground"

 

-       Soldiers met with hostility (shame felt among some Americans) People learned a lot of

-       She wrote him everyday and would send him tapes

-       He went to the secretary of press at the pentagon to write a death/capture letter that she wrote about in her memoirs

-       First time they will be in Vietnam together…Lynda has never been but their children have

-       He has been back many times…"very strange feeling going to a country with which you have been at war because you aren't going in with guns blazing"

-       I "had a funny feeling"

-       Officer in charge of PLC program….bigger officer input program…give speeches to college campuses (most colleges wouldn't even permit him) they all had death masks on to protest the war.

-       Became sergeant and a father in the same week J

-       Got a note from president Nixon for giving a speech and having a standing ovation

- Lack of technology (white phosphorus at night because they would step on NVA soldiers)

- A man from University of Texas was only there for two days before he died

- Famous picture in Time magazine….black and white

No comments:

Post a Comment